Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Beauty Queen Goes Bald

It’s not exactly a fashion statement–it’s something much more commendable than that.

Miss Virginia of 2008 shaved her head yesterday as part of a fundraiser for pediatric cancer.

She said in a press release, “As Miss Virginia 2008, I want to use my title to do the most good possible and prove that beauty is as beauty does.”

She’s an ambassador for the Children’s Miracle Network.

It’s been three months since she retired as the beauty queen of the 2008 and it’s good to see her really care enough to make a bold statement like that even after her reign is over. In fact, pageant officials did not let her shave her head while she was still Miss Virginia, which is why she had to wait until her reign is over.

According to the official website of St. Baldrick’s Foundation, she danced in a marathon and went 48 hours without sitting or sleeping to help raise over $4.1 million for this cause.

“As an ambassador for the Children’s Miracle Network in Virginia and I have befriended many children suffering from cancer who have forever touched my life; little girls who have lost their hair due to cancer treatment, and who are often made fun of at school for being bald. Imagine if those little girls got a visit in the hospital from Miss Virginia who was also bald…I am doing this for them.

I’m also doing this for a young woman who did not win her battle with cancer. I recently spoke at a middle school and, after giving a presentation, a 6th grade girl came up to me and gave me a bracelet that said “Kassidy Our Champion” on it. She told me that Kassidy was her sister who had died last year of cancer when she was 12-years-old. I wear it every day. And every day I work to be worthy of having it.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment