Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Homemade Facials: Beat the Spa Prices

Whenever I get my bill back from the salon, I cringe – the standard facial and pedicure that used to rejuvenate my skin, refresh my attitude, and give me a healthy beauty boost used to cost around $50 total, including the tip: now that be upwards of $100 or $150! I use spa days to relax more than as a standard part of my beauty regime, and the inflated prices do not help my relaxation or stress levels. To combat this problem, I’ve recently turned to homemade facials and a little TLC time spent in the comforts of my own home. Here are some standard homemade facial recipes and their bottled equivalents. Whichever one makes you feel better, you can decide! Let me know what you think.



My Favorite Soothing Recipe:

Use a warm cloth to open up your pores, then smear on some organic honey. Leave on for 15-20 minutes, rinse with warm water, and then apply a cold water cloth to your face to close pores. To add a little extra nutrients and exfoliate, mix a little ground oatmeal into the honey for the mask. Repeat as necessary: three days in a row for extra cleansing.

The Store – Bought Equivalent:

Korres Thyme Honey Mask for $27.00. Spend the extra bucks to ensure sanitation of the materials and ultimate elasticity for your skin.

Best Exfoliating Facial Recipe:

Mix three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and one tablespoon of kosher salt to make a grainy paste. Rub into any dry or dead skin, especially good for knees and elbows. Be careful on the cheeks, chin, and forehead, and don’t get anywhere near your eyes! The skin around your eyes doesn’t usually need exfoliation anyway, and believe me you don’t want to end up with kosher salt in your eyes.

Store-bought equivalent: Zia Natural Skin Care Pumpkin Exfoliating Mask for around $17. Definitely better if you are looking for an all-around, natural exfoliate that won’t be too harsh or grating for your face. Uses natural pumpkin puree and carrot juice to create a textured mask without the harsh application. Worth the money!

What do you think? Are spa facials worth the expense? Do homemade facials match up to the hype? Can you get the same result with store bought products?

0 comments:

Post a Comment