Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Economics & Beauty: My Basket of Goods

The Thought:

Ever heard of the Consumer Price Index (CPI)? It’s a metric that is used by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics to approximate the average price of the basic goods and services that a household needs to operate. I’m a demographics nerd, so I’ll avoid discussions of weighting schemes, etc.

Instead, I’ll get straight to the good stuff. The CPI approximates how much an average household must spend on a typical “basket of goods.” Just as a house needs a basket of goods that includes food, energy, and other basic items, I use a basket of beauty goods to keep my face looking fresh.

I thought that it would be fun to create a list of everything that I used this week. After drafting my list on three Post-It notes, I was a little surprised by how much I use for a very minimalistic look. Keep in mind: I’m not a high maintenance girl. I spend no more than half an hour on my daily routine, and I wear jeans and flip-flops to work.

The Basket:

Alba lip gloss: I use the pineapple quench flavor to keep my lips hydrated throughout the day. I like how the gloss keeps my lips smooth without going overboard on the shine. ($2.87)

Aussie Hair Insurance Leave In Spray: I use this while my hair is damp before blow-drying. It does a great job eliminating tangles and smoothing frizz without leaving my hair heavy from a typical after-product sensation. I really hate using products, and I haven’t even touched gel, mouse, or spray in years. This stuff is a perfect supplement to my everyday conditioner. ($3.69)

Garnier Fructis Hair Gloss: Did I mention that I hate using products in my hair? I hate feeling grimy and heavy-headed with a passion. This stuff gives me just what I need to smooth out my ends after blow drying and flat ironing. All I need is one bottle for the year. ($5.70)

Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Shampoo & Conditioner: Drugstore shampoo and conditioner tend to kill my hair pretty quickly. According to my hair stylist, this is because a lot of non-salon products contain high amounts of alcohol. I’ve been told that Herbal Essences is one of the best drugstore products that you can get. I alternate shampoos to try out new scents and feels, but I’ve definitely maintained a long term relationship with Herbal Essences Long Continue reading

0 comments:

Post a Comment